Dear Summer Reading Program Facilitators,
This webpage gathers resources compiled by the Cultural and Intellectual Program Council to help facilitators prepare for effective discussion sessions.
Logistics of the Summer Reading Program:
- The current spreadsheet of facilitator time/room assignments (as of 8/14/2013)
- Instructions on the responsibilities of being a facilitator
Information about this year’s book The Big Truck That Went By
- Information about the book, book reviews, possible discussion questions, and additional resources
- The Summer Reading Assignment that was distributed to the students at Orientation. Paper copies were given to all the students. All students have been subsequently emailed.
- A guide on leading effective discussions
- Articles from NACLA (North American Congress on Latin America)
- Open Forum: Haiti Reconstruction: Factories, not Fields. (May/June 2012)
- Report: Haiti. Disaster Capitalism to the Rescue: The International Community and Haiti After the Earthquake. July/August 2010.
- Report: Haiti. ‘We Bend, but We Don’t Break’: Fighting for a Just Reconstruction in Haiti. July/August 2010.
- NPR Reports on Haiti:
- Morning Edition: Will ‘Made In Haiti’ Factories Improve Life In Haiti?, Morning Edition, Feb. 14, 2013
- What Happened To The Aid Meant To Rebuild Haiti?, Morning Edition, Feb. 28, 2103.
- Haiti’s Cholera Outbreak Tied To Nepalese U.N. Peacekeepers, All Things Considered, August 12, 2013
- It’s Hard To Do Good, Planet Money, May 21, 2013. A report on money donated to rebuild a school in 2010 (post-quake) and the follow-up.
- A response from the Haiti School Project (6/3/2013) to the story.
- 2011 Orion magazine article on the food revolution in Haiti